How does this work?
Supported Employment is a program designed to assist people with disabilities that have had, or may expect to have difficulty getting and keeping a job. It is offered through the California Department of Rehabilitation, which contract with local agencies to provide the direct service.
The kinds of assistance that can be offered under this program include job development, job placement and job coaching to learn the job.
How it is done…
Supported Employment will take one of the following forms:
- Individual placement – This is where one individual works for a company and may receive job placement services, job training and possibly job coaching services.
- Enclave – This is where a group of workers with disabilities work with supervision in a company.
- Mobile crew – This is where a group of supervised workers with disabilities work in the community traveling from job to job. An example of such a setting would be a landscaping crew that performs yard work.
Success stories from the valley.
- Jeanne hasn’t missed a day of work at Jack in the Box in Madera in six years
- Barbara has worked for Evapco West for seven years steadily increasing her jobs skills and responsibilities
- Wendy’s at Madera has recognized the value of supported employment and has hired Ronnie who has worked for them since 1994 and Jamie who joined them in 1996.
- Jennifer works a s a part time secretary for the Career Development program in Madera
- George is successfully working at Target in Merced where he helps stock merchandise and round up shopping carts
- Wendy’s in Tulare is very pleased to count Lilly as one of their valued employees
Understanding social security supplemental income, click here to read about it
Who to call for more information:
California Department of Rehabilitation
Fresno, CA 93721
(559) 445-6011 or
4930 Keweah Suite 100
Visalia CA 93277
(55) 735-3838 or
3335 “M” Street
Merced CA 95348
Central Valley Regional Center
4615 N. Marty
Fresno CA 93722
(559) 276-4300 or
3172 M Street
Merced, CA 95348
5441 West Cypress Avenue
Visalia, Ca 93277